We support entrepreneurship
- Spin-outs - we advised the winners of Heriot-Watt University’s Converge Challenge from 2011 to 2017. A high-profile pan-Scotland company creation competition and entrepreneurship development programme for staff, students, and recent graduates of Scottish universities and Research institutes.
- Start-ups – we’re involved in the Road to Investment (RTI) programme advising start-up companies.
- We hold a regular drop-in clinic to help people – in particular, recent graduates - with business advice for start-ups.
We support Innovation
- In 2010, we were the first UK law firm to create an employment app.
- Our More for Lawyers forum created in 2006 provides services to our professional colleagues.
We support learning and development
- Including the Schools Law Project, through which we sponsor four schools introducing pupils to the legal system.
- Also, the Impressive People Charity – helping showcase successful state school pupils.
- We deliver a workshop to University of Edinburgh students focusing on the delivery of legal advice to the public sector
- We help teach law at Scotland's universities. For example:
- Innes Clark lectures in Employment Law at the University of Edinburgh.
- Richard McMeeken runs the Commercial Litigation course on the Diploma in Professional Legal Practice.
- Suzanne Hardie tutors in Property Law.
- Ruth McCallister tutors in Professional Skills and Responsibilities.
We support charities
- Donations are made from the Morton Fraser Charitable Trust annually to charities whose main purpose is either care of the elderly, helping young people, medical research or the provision of education.
- Our chosen charity for 2017 is Age Scotland. We’ve previously supported: Sick Kids Friends Foundation in Edinburgh, Ronald McDonald House in Glasgow, Macmillan Cancer Support, Alzheimer's Research Scotland, The Bethany Trust, St Columba's Hospice in Edinburgh and the Prince and Princess of Wales Hospice in Glasgow.
We support ethical procurement and the environment
- We’re a member of the Legal Sector Alliance. A group of law firms who are committed to sharing ideas about reducing our impact on the environment.
- Our stationery supplier is Wildhearts, a social enterprise company that re-invests its profits to make a positive social impact, both at home and abroad.
- We provide weekly baskets of free fruit to all our staff through Edinburgh Community Food, a social enterprise which helps people enjoy delicious, fresh healthy food and access to a healthy diet.