This is an exciting opportunity to learn more about working life and legal practice.
Selecting a course of study at university is an important and sometimes difficult decision. Our work experience programmes are designed to assist secondary school pupils who are considering studying law at university.
Our programmes are designed for school pupils who:
- Have completed their fourth year of secondary school
- Are interested in studying law at university
We receive a lot of applications each year, so before you apply think carefully about why you are applying and show us why you are interested in the placement.
We’re looking for evidence of your passion and knowledge of law and why you’re thinking of studying law at university.
There are two routes for applying for work experience with us. The first is our PRIME Work Experience programme for students who meet the PRIME eligibility criteria. The second is our Open Work Experience programme. Read more about the entry requirements and application processes for both of our programmes below.
PRIME Work Experience
Please note that applications for our 2023 programme are now closed.
We want to ensure that everyone who wants to enter the legal profession has an equal chance to do so. We have partnered with PRIME, an alliance of law firms that aims to improve socio-economic diversity within the legal profession, to design a programme which aims to inspire students and prove that a career in law is achievable, no matter your background.
We are now offering one week of paid work experience in our Edinburgh office. Additionally, we will provide you with lunch every day and cover your travel costs to and from the office. The pay for your attendance on the programme will be £175.
In order to apply to a PRIME work experience programme, you must meet the following qualifying criteria:
- You must be in S5 or S6 and meet the qualifying criteria as set out by PRIME.
- You’re attending, and have always attended, a state-funded, non-fee-paying school/college.
You must also meet one or more of the following additional criteria (the more criteria you meet, the more likely you are to be offered a place on the programme):
- You have been, or are currently, in local authority care
- You are currently in receipt of, or have previously received, free school meals, Pupil Premium, Education Maintenance Allowance and/or 16 to 19 Bursary
- You are, or have been, a full-time or part-time carer
- You came to the UK as a refugee or asylum seeker
- The occupation of your main household earner is categorised as a routine or manual occupation. A summary of this can be found here.
- You are attending a state school or college with: a) below average Higher point score and/or b) low rate of progression to higher education (PRIME Work Experience School Eligibility Criteria)
- You grew up in a household where no parent or guardian attended University.
Young people who meet the 'in local authority care' criterion do not need to meet any other criterion.
To apply, please complete an application form and return it to Rita Dcunha at firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date outlined below.
Please download an application form here.
You will be notified within 14 days of the closing date if you are to be offered a placement. If you have been unsuccessful, you will be notified within 21 days of the closing date. Please note that spaces are limited, with only eight placements available, so it is advisable to send in your application in as early as possible.
- 2023 Applications Open: 1 March 2023
- Closing Date for Applications: 28 April 2023
- Work Experience Dates: 10 - 14 July 2023
Open Work Experience
We offer one week of unpaid work experience, Monday to Friday from 9.30 to 1pm. We offer 15 places each year, 10 in our Edinburgh office and 5 in our Glasgow office. You’ll get experience in at least three different areas of legal practice, by shadowing our trainee solicitors.
You can apply for work experience placements up to six months ahead. There are two closing dates for applications - 28th February and 30th August each year.
You must complete our application form. The selection process will be based on the application forms only; no supporting evidence is required.
Once your application is submitted you will receive an email acknowledging receipt.
You will be notified within 14 days of the closing date if you are to be offered a placement. If you have been unsuccessful you will be notified within 21 days of the closing date.
If successful, you will be offered a placement with specific dates so if your school has fixed dates when they expect you to do work experience it is important that you include these in your application.
Click here to complete your application and apply.