Planning for Later Life

Key contact

Morton Fraser Partner Sue Hunter
Sue Hunter
Sue is a partner and head of our Private Client sector.  She is also the head of our Wealth Management team.
0131 516 2928

You may be reaching a stage in life when you’re having to make decisions about where and how to live. Alternatively, you may have elderly parents or relatives who require help with their affairs. You might feel you don't have the expertise to navigate your way through this difficult time or you may be too far away to be of practical help. Whatever your challenge we can assist you.

How we can help you

We can help you to stay in your home or we can help with the planning and transition into a care home. The starting point for everyone, is to make sure that a Power of Attorney is in place, so that  personal, financial and health affairs can be handled on your behalf and in the correct way if circumstances require it. Your doctor might suggest that you or your relative have 'lost capacity' and we can explain what that means and how to help.

Long term care provision is a topical subject these days and with good reason. Knowing what options you have is the key to good decision making. Some of the questions that our clients often grapple with are determining the differences between nursing care and residential care, how to get the support required to stay in your home for as long as possible, the costs of long term health care, and the financial support options available from Government or Local Authorities. Whatever your questions, we have the legal experts with years of experience to guide you through the choices you make.

What is a Power of Attorney? 

Power of Attorney is a document which gives a trusted person or people authority to take action or make decisions on your behalf if there ever comes a time when you are not capable of doing those things yourself. This can cover both your financial affairs and your health and welfare.

What happens if you can't grant a Power of Attorney? 

Please speak to us as soon as possible if you think it possible your relative can't understand their affairs. It may be that a Power of Attorney is still possible and if it is not then we can give advice on the alternative options. Time might be of the essence.