This one day course is designed to provide attendees with a comprehensive overview of key employment law issues to assist with dealing with day to day issues that arise in the workplace.
It provides an essential understanding of how to ensure that employers are legally compliant as well as complying with best practice with a view to avoiding disputes or Employment Tribunal claims.
During the day, we will cover:-
Contracts of employment
- What needs to be in them
- What form they take and what happens if nothing is in writing
- What type to use: permanent, fixed term, casual, zero hours
- How to vary contracts
- Breaches of contract and constructive dismissal
- Contractual variation or a redundancy situation?
- Legal requirements when handling redundancies
- Information and consultation requirements
- Dealing with sickness absence: frequent short terms absences, long term absences, disability related workplace adjustments
- Managing performance
- Difficult conversations
- Understanding the unfair dismissal and constructive dismissal legislation
- When is it fair to dismiss?
- Recent case law
- What’s not allowed and the penalties that apply
- The legal concepts of direct, indirect and associative discrimination and harassment and victimisation
- Recent cases and examples of discrimination on grounds of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment and religion and belief
- The reasonable steps defence
Employment Tribunal claims and procedure
- Who can make claims and the types of claims brought
- What to expect from the Employment Tribunal process
- What to expect if you are a witness at a Tribunal
Monday 13 January 2020 - Edinburgh
9am to 4.30pm
Monday 9 March 2020 - Glasgow
9am to 4.30pm
Keep up-to-date with the key legal requirements and best practice in the workplace saving your organisation time and money. Our courses are designed for business owners, HR professionals, line managers, in-house lawyers and finance team members seeking an understanding of, or an update on, specific selected areas. All of our courses have a very practical focus, drawing on our many years of experience of advising both employers and employees.
Maximum group size is 20 delegates to facilitate discussion of worked examples and Q&A.
Cost of £495 plus VAT per delegate includes a copy of the slides and a handout with practical tips.
*10% reduction available for registered charities
*15% reduction available for second delegate from the same organisation booked on the same course on the same day
How to book
You can book a place by emailing your details to Jennifer Robertson on firstname.lastname@example.org and making the relevant payment via SagePay on our website here, referencing "ELTcourse" (please let Jennifer know if you need us to issue a receipt to confirm payment)
* Payment is required in advance of attendance.
Cancellations more than 10 working days before the course start date will be refunded or an alternative course can be booked.
Cancellations less than 10 working days before the date of the course will not be refunded but delegates can re-book on a course at a later date.
Our other courses
This course forms part of a practical series of employment law courses covering key employment law and related HR issues brought to you by one of the leading employment law teams in Scotland. The link below will take you to our full menu of courses:-